I recently did a tutorial on making a folder and in my finished image I added a photograph to the front of the folder using adhesive tape, I later though it would be a good idea to make the next tutorial about making adhesive tape. Do hope that you enjoy it.
1. First create a new File. File>New>Blank File 1700 pixels x 2000 pixels, resolution 300, RGB with a white background.
2. Next create a new layer above the background layer and call it “Basic Tape” then select the rectangular marquee and make a rectangular selection something like this.
3. Fill your selection with a shade of gray Edit>Fill Selection. The shade I used was d0d0d0.
4. Now select the Polygonal Lasso, zoom in close and make a selection. You get a better result if the selection is fairly even so take a little time to get it right. You should end up with something like this.
5. All you need to do now is Edit>Delete and the top of the tape is completed
6. Go to the bottom of the tape and do the same thing with that edge too. When you have finished your tape should look something like this.
7. Well that’s not looking too bad but I like to add a little more realism so create a new layer above the “Basic Tape” layer and call it “Highlight”. Set your foreground colour to white, select a soft brush at around 200 pixels and paint in a few highlights like mine:
8. Then all you need to do is lower the opacity of the “Highlight” layer to around 30% and the opacity of the “Basic Tape” layer to around 50% and your tape is finished.
Just save your tape and when you need it you can simply copy and paste it into any image. When you use it you may have to adjust the opacity of the layers as it does look different depending on the background layer you put it over. Here is just one of the images I have used it on.
Experiment and enjoy